Monday 24 June 2013

I made a thing!

First, let me point out that I am not creative or arty at all. Neither am I musical, and though I believe I can sing magnificently in my head, the grimaces of my peers suggest otherwise. Long have I yearned to be able to Do Something, to make Beautiful Things that inspire others, and long have such talents evaded me. Until, that is, I discovered crocheting. I don't care what anyone says; it may well be the past time of grannies, the fruits of my labour may well be more twee than a doily underneath a chintz lamp - I don't care because it is bloody good fun and I have finally found something I am GOOD at.

LOOK! Look at the things I made yesterday:






For those who say they can't tell what it is, sod off! It's clearly a heart shape. <sniffle> Ok, so I may be taking slight liberties by saying I'm good at this, but this is the first time I've tried to make stuff without it looking like a postmodern interpretation of pre-schoolers' craft activities. I can bake a pretty mean cake, but having just rejoined Slimming World in another attempt to stop being a massive fatty, I need a hobby that is slightly less calorie-laden. I can't say that crocheting is a fabulous workout, but it does keep my hands sufficiently busy to stop reaching for another custard cream.

It has taught me to stop and appreciate the simple, beautiful things in life. I'm more than a little prone to getting bogged down with the big, bad ills of the world (no! you don't say!) but it's good for the soul to take a step back, smell the flowers, look at the butterflies and turn a bit of wool into a pointless frilly thingy.

No comments:

Post a Comment